EPA Industrial Licences and Support

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is responsible for issuing licences, with the aim to control, mitigate and prevent pollution resulting from industrial activities. The EPA defines this pollution as emissions of various substances released into the air, water and land. These are regulated through Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) licenses and Integrated Pollution Control (IPC) licenses.

The differences between the two are as follows:

  1. Applicability: The IED licence applies to larger industrial activities, while the IPC licence applies to smaller-scale activities.
  2. Legislation: The IED licence is governed by the European Industrial Emissions Directive, while the IPC licence is regulated by the EPA in Ireland.
  3. Focus: The IED licence focuses on reducing emissions of certain pollutants, such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, from larger industrial facilities. The IPC licence focuses on reducing the environmental impact of smaller-scale activities, such as waste management, surface coating, and fuel storage.
  4. Process: The IED licence application process is generally more complex and time-consuming than the IPC licence application process, as it requires more detailed information and a more extensive assessment of environmental impacts.
  5. Monitoring and Reporting: The requirements for monitoring and reporting are generally more stringent under the IED licence than the IPC licence.

Overall, both licenses aim to protect the environment and public health by regulating industrial activities, but they differ in their focus and scope.

Industry types covered under an IEL and IPC licence include:

Mineral and other materials | Energy | Metals | Mineral Fibres and Glass | Chemicals | Intensive Agriculture | Food and Drink | Wood, Paper, Textiles and Leather| Fossil Fuels | Cement, Lime and Magnesium Oxide | Waste | Surface Coatings | Other Activities.

Environmental Efficiency Support

Our team of specialist Environmental Consultants have in-depth knowledge and experience in the licensing process for the different industry sectors.

The EPA states that some activities only require a licence above a specified threshold. As the application process and compliance with an EPA issued licence can prove costly, we will first determine the necessity of obtaining one. Following this, our consultants will provide practical and cost-effective support in not only obtaining these licences, but also maintaining them. The process of continued compliance could include compliance monitoring, annual environmental reports, ELRAs and CRAMPs.

For additional details of the application process and continuous compliance with an EPA licence, please contact us.

IEL IPC Licences

Some of Our Clients

Hear What Our Customers Say

Environmental Consultants

Best Practice | Independent | Compliance