If you use solvents, it is likely that either the Solvent Regulations 2012 or EPA Act will apply to you.

The Solvent Regulations are aimed at solvent users who use between 1 tonne and 10 tonnes per year. Such users must obtain a Certificate of Compliance from their local authority. This certificate is then valid for three years.

To obtain this Certificate, the user must have air emissions monitoring carried out and a Solvent Management Plan prepared. The user should then contact an approved assessor from the panel of approved assessors (these were previously known as Accredited Inspection Contractors; this is being replaced by the panel of approved assessors by 30 September 2013). Environmental Efficiency can undertake the air monitoring, prepare the Solvent Management Plan and provide a list of assessors.

The EPA Act is aimed at large solvent uses who use over 10 tonnes of solvent per year and these users will require an IPPC licence. Typical users include printers, adhesive manufactures and spray painting facilities such as found in steel fabricators and manufacturers of plant and machinery.

If you are unsure as to whether these regulations apply to you, or need advice in complying, Environmental Efficiency would be happy to attend your site for an free confidential consultation.